NAD Adventist Single Adult Ministries : Forum
VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - Printable Version

+- NAD Adventist Single Adult Ministries : Forum (http://www.adventistsam.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Church Life and News (http://www.adventistsam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Adventist Media (http://www.adventistsam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+--- Thread: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 10-29-2008

For four years, right out of college, I lived and taught school in our Adventist schools in Newfoundland. Newfoundland is a very wonderful place! While there I often listened to VOAR (Voice of Adventist Radio) which is the oldest and only religious radio station in all of Canada. They do a great job and it is really worth listening to.

I used to have so much fun Ingathering in St John's because everyone knew the radio station and they would give very liberally.

Today the British Columbia Conference has about eight transmitter radio station broadcasting of VOAR in several cities and are working on getting many more. In other words we can listen to VOAR broadcasts via satelite from Newfoundland. I still am not close enough to listen to one but, we're working on getting one in Abbotsford. I can hardly wait until we can hear the station!

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 10-29-2008

This is now the list of stations that VOAR is on in BC today:

Creston 92.9 FM
Cranbrook 106.5 FM
Golden 99.9 FM
Hope 94.1 FM
Kamloops 95.1 FM
Kelowna 98.9 FM
Nakusp 92.9 FM
Prince George 107.3 FM
Quesnel 92.3 FM
Williams Lake 95.1 FM

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 11-30-2008

The CRTC approved 2 more repeater stations this past week. One is Inuvik, NWT and the other I can't remember. I'll add it and the here when I find out which it is.

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 12-02-2008

We received word today that the CRTC has approved two more repeater stations in BC. One is in Terrance and the other in Oliver. So.....more and more are able to listen to VOAR and God's message on this station.

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - dgrimm60 - 12-02-2008

DARLENE

WOW this is really good to hear

dgrimm60

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 12-03-2008

Yes, it is really good to hear. What I am waiting for though is for the CRTC to approve our Abbotsford application. Then we will be able to listen to VOAR too. I really look forward to that! I used to listen to the station when I taught school in Newfoundland for four years.....several years ago. It is a really good station!

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 02-22-2009

We have had to close a couple of the stations in BC because another radio station opened in their area and the arrangement with the CRTC is for a certain number of stations in an area.

The are the current ones:

Creston 92.9 FM
Cranbrook 106.5 FM
Golden 99.9 FM
Hope 94.1 FM
Nakusp 92.9 FM
Quesnel 92.3 FM
Williams Lake 95.1 FM

However, there are now plans to have BC content on VOAR which means they will open a studio just for BC content at the VOAR station in St. John's Newfoundland. When this happens then BC will beable to broadcast the station all across BC. We believe this is certainly a step in the right direction.

The programming of VOAR in BC is receiving such a positive response from many of the churches of all denominations. This is probably due to the fact that we do not have any relgious stations at all.

Now....we wait for CRTC approval. In the meantime VOAR is still being broadcast in several of our communities in the Province.

There might be more information on the BC Conference website:

http://www.bcadventist.com/

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 03-07-2009

Here is the new and updated list of repeater stations in BC and even those that have applications in to the CRTC for approval.

Castlegar - Application Pending
Cherryville -Application Pending
Chilliwack - Application Pending
Creston - 92.9 FM
Cranbrook - 106.5 FM
Fruitvale - Application Pending
Golden - 99.9 FM
Grand Forks - Application Pending
Hope - 94.1 FM
Inuvik - Application Pending
Kamloops - Application Pending
Kelowna - Application Pending
Nelson - Application Pending
Nuksup - 92.9 FM
Oliver - Application Pending
Penticton - Application Pending
Port Alberni - Application Pending
Port Hardy - Application Pending
Powell River - Application Pending
Prince George - Application Pending
Quesnel - 92.3 FM
Rock Creek - Application Pending
Silver Creek - Application Pending
Spense’s Bridge - Application Pending
Squamish - Application Pending
Terrace - Application Pending
Tofino - Application Pending
Trail - Application Pending
Vernon - Application Pending
Whistler - Application Pending
Williams Lake - 95.1 FM

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 03-07-2009

Incase you haven't been able to figure out how to listen to this station live.....once you are on their website all you have to do is click on the Listen Live in the upper right hand corner of the site.

It's a great station!

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 05-29-2009

This is an old station and when you read some of the history you can see that God has been leading this station for many years. Here is some of the history from their website:

"We started in the fall of 1929. I had come to St. John’s from Port Aux Basques to finish school, I’d been away at Oshawa the year before. Pastor Williams had the idea for a radio station, and he’d been in touch with George Stevens, a radio engineer in New York. George Stevens sent him a set of plans for a transmitter, and he was looking for volunteers to build it. I think that all the boys in Grade 10 and 11 at the [Seventh-day Adventist] Academy volunteered.

We started it in the living room of the manse (ed.note: this was a house at 106 Freshwater Rd.) He couldn’t find some of the parts locally, so he cabled Mr. Stevens, and he suggested substitutes. It was some time in the fall that we first went on the air, but the transmitter kept breaking down, and there was a lot of static.

Pastor Williams’ idea was to start a commercial station that would pay for itself with advertizing. There wasn’t a commercial station in Newfoundland at that time, but we couldn’t sell advertising until we could put it on the air on schedule, every day, so that winter George Stevens came up on the boat to help us out. He stayed three years.

Mr. Stevens rented a house on Pennywell Road, near Linscott Street, and we took the transmitter over there in Pastor Williams’ car. Stevens and I took it apart in a bedroom and put it back together again, properly. He really knew his stuff. He brought some parts with him, but good radio parts were scarce that year [1930], even in New York, so he designed new circuits, and I must have wound about five miles of copper wire into coils of various kinds."
--William Moyst in a VOAR interview, 1977.

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 06-20-2009

I'm posting the link here again, otherwise you need to go back to the 1st page to find it:

Here is a link to the Voice of Adventist Radio station website where you can either browse or listen to their programming:

http://www.voar.org/

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 08-28-2009

There is now talk of an Adventist radio station in Abbotsford. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we? Question

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - dgrimm60 - 08-29-2009

HEY DARLENE

WELL yes we will have to wait and see

dgrimm60

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 01-29-2010

I was just listening to VOAR and they are still going strong. What a wonderful station and what a mission they have as they broadcast clear to British Columbia.

RE: VOAR - Voice of Adventist Radio - darlene - 03-21-2010

Stan "the man" sent an message on facebook today, saying that last week they were authorized to have VOAR on 25 more stations in BC. Lucky people.....wish I could listen to it here in Alberta.